12 Ιουνίου 2019 – The President of our Club and Capt. Michalis Fragkias, were invited by the METROPOLITAN COLLEGE as panelists in the 2nd International Conference on Maritime Education, at Evgenides Foundation
Υλικό: Πρόγραμμα Ομιλίας 2019
The President of our Club, Capt. Georgios Tsouris and our distinguished Member Capt. Michalis Fragkias, were invited by the METROPOLITAN COLLEGE and they participated as panelists in the 2nd International Conference on Maritime Education, on 12 June 2019, at Evgenides Foundation.
In Panel 1, the following topics were discussed:
Panel #1: Optimising Seafarers’ Resilience
Moderator: Vice Admiral HCG (ret.) Antonis Vidalis
1. The current discussion over Resilience has been introduced in shipping talks the last few years from an Oil Major (Shell). Is this discussion something new within the industry or is it something we have experienced in the past and needs to be revisited?
2. If we can agree upon the concept that resilience means greater seafarers’ engagement and this leads to safer crews & vessels, are we able to say that the maritime community, as a whole, is nowadays able to build resilience to a sufficient extent?
3. Is resilience measurable? And if yes, does a seafarer’s resilience change over the years?
4. What initiatives do we expect from the shipping companies to initiate so as to build resilience on board their vessels also for cadets?
5. On the presumption that during sea service the cadets gradually familiarize with their new working environment, is there enough time for the companies to increase their actual engagement?
6. How can we build resilience also within Maritime Academies? What learning tools should be used for achieving cadets’ resilience even before their first sea service?
7. How can we explain to seafarers the value added of higher resilience?